Ellinorama
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[PS] Smoke Effect

Go down

[PS] Smoke Effect Empty [PS] Smoke Effect

Post by Doctor Inferno Tue 28 Apr - 6:34

Create smoke effects in a few simple steps with the Smudge Tool, as well as explore Smart Object filter combinations for various abstractions.

Step 1 – Create a document preset of your choice.

With Photoshop open, go File > New and create an RGB document size of your choice, I used 500 x 500 with White as the default Background color.

[PS] Smoke Effect 1

Step 2 – Set Background Color and add new Layer

Press the D key to set your Foreground/Background swatches to the default of Black/White.
Then with the Background Layer active in the Layers Panel, press Opt + Delete keys (PC: Alt + Backspace) to fill this Background with Black (your current foreground color).
Then click the Add New Layer icon command located at the bottom of the Layers Panel to add a new empty Layer (Layer 1).

[PS] Smoke Effect 2

This new empty Layer will be the target for the smoke effect.

Step 3 – Create irregular brush line and apply Blur Filter

Next we need to create a base pixel shape for the smoke effect:
With Layer 1 selected/active in the Layers Pane
Press the X key to revert Fore/Background swatch colors to White/Black.
Activate/select the Brush Tool (B) from the Toolbar.
Then on the Options Bar select the Brush preset picker arrow selector and from the drop-down list choose a medium sized brush. I selected the 45 PX (0% Hardness) preset.
Then simply click-and-drag to draw an irregular line as I have captured below.
Then go Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and apply a medium Radius: I used 8.7, then click OK to commit.
Ultimately, blur enough so that the edges extend from the stoke line and the solidity of the white remains intact in the center.

[PS] Smoke Effect 3

Step 4 – Smudging the Smoke Effect

The creation process is random, yet quite simple. Essentially, with the (1) Smudge Tool active and (2) a brush preset of your choice as well as a Strength value less than the default 100%, you PULL pixels that fall under the cursor or PUSH from transparency to a pixel area to create definition.

Note: Keeping the Strength value at the default of 100% will only push/pull all the pixels that lie under the smudge cursor. Lower this value to ensure some variation from the original stroke. The lower the value the softer the smudge will be created. In my case I kept the value at 81% and applied more Push than Pull.
Begin from the outer edge of the stroke with the Smudge Tool cursor just under half over the edge (Pull Pixels out: as captured below), and then pull outward.

[PS] Smoke Effect 4

Repeat the push and pull routine in the upward direction of the original brush stroke. The four following captures were done in a matter of seconds. I settled to stop on the d variation, but you can certainly incorporate as much as you desire.

[PS] Smoke Effect 5

Step 5 – Optional Gradient Overlay

Sometimes a color effect/tint works well on the smoke. One option is to apply a Color or Gradient Overlay Layer Style onto the layer.
My example below applies a Gradient Overlay Layer Style.

To Apply:
Press the D key to reset the Fore/Background Swatches to Black/White.
Click the Foreground Swatch and set it a color of your choice. I used a variant of blue (#0096da).
Ctrl +click (PC: Right Click) on Layer 1 and from the context list choose Blending Options.
At the main Blending Options dialog Tick AND Select Gradient Overlay.
At the Gradient Overlay properties panel, click the Gradient Preset thumbnail picker. (encircled in red)
At the Gradient Editor dialog, choose the first preset (Foreground/Background).
Click OK to close the Gradient Editor.
Minimize the Opacity if the color is too strong (I settled on 50%). Also if your blue to white appears too far to the bottom, while still at Gradient Overlay dialog, click-and-drag upward onto your document window to reposition. Then click OK to commit tinting.

[PS] Smoke Effect 6

Step 6 – Extra for Photoshop CS3 users

Photoshop CS3 Smart Filters is a godsend in my book. After the above initial Smudge routine is in place, explore various Filter > Distort options for some ‘abstractions’.

With Layer 1 active:
Command-click (PC: Right-Click) and choose Convert to Smart Object.
Layer 1 (with the Gradient Overlay) is now a single Smart Object Layer.
This now enables Layer 1 to utilize any of the Filter menu options. But for the sake of brevity, I will only use the Distort filters.

[PS] Smoke Effect 7

Next, simple apply various Filter > Distort options as I have captured below. As captured below (top), I began with the Twirl Filter, applied it three more times with alternate settings and Opacity, and ended at the Pinch filter.

[PS] Smoke Effect 8

Source: http://www.photoshopuser.com
Doctor Inferno
Doctor Inferno
₪₪ ELLINORAMA POWER ₪₪
₪₪ ELLINORAMA POWER ₪₪

https://ellinorama.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum